SPJ is the nation’s most broad-based journalism organization, dedicated to encouraging the free practice of journalism and stimulating high standards of ethical behavior. Founded in 1909 as Sigma Delta Chi, SPJ promotes the free flow of information vital to a well-informed citizenry through the daily work of its nearly 10,000 members; works to inspire and educate current and future journalists through professional development; and protects First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and press through its advocacy efforts.
Membership in SPJ is open to all media professionals who uphold the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics.
The Virginia Pro Chapter falls into SPJ’s Region 2, which spans Delaware, Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia and North Carolina. For more SPJ Region 2 news, click here or visit Facebook. Stephenie Overman presently serves as Region 2 coordinator. Overman can be reached at email@example.com.
Join SPJ Va Pro today! Visit spj.org/join and select “Virginia Pro” under chapter name.
Here are our bylaws; they explain how the chapter operates.
2019-2020 Officers and Board of Directors
- Jeff South (professor, Virginia Commonwealth University), President
- Caroline Cardwell (public relations and communications strategist, Virginia Retirement System), Vice President
- Brian Eckert, (freelance writer, editor) Treasurer
- Logan Bogert (reporter, The News Virginian), Secretary
- John Hopkins (retired, Miami Herald)
- Gregory Gilligan (business editor, Richmond Times-Dispatch)
- Nicole Livas (anchor/reporter, ABC 13 News)
- Frank Klimko (associate editor, Best Week Insurance)
- Wilford Kale (retired, Richmond Times-Dispatch)
- Clissa England (retired, Richmond Times-Dispatch)
- Brett Hall (WAVY-TV)
- Bonnie Newman Davis (Journalist and journalism educator)
- Mike Szvetitz (Managing editor, Richmond Times-Dispatch)
How to reach us:
E-mail Virginia Pro SPJ at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet us @SPJVA, Find us on Facebook or email President Jeff South at email@example.com.