What: AP Day at the Capitol
When: Dec. 4
Where: Richmond Times-Dispatch
The board of the Virginia Pro Chapter SPJ has voted to support AP Day at the Capitol. It’s an annual seminar organized by Virginia APME to help reporters, editors and editorial writers prepare for the legislative session. Please join us!
In its five-year history, AP Day at the Capitol has become a tradition embraced by the news industry and state lawmakers. The sessions make news and tend to attract some of the most influential people in state government. This year will be no exception.
Cost: $25, includes lunch
To register: contact Stacey Carroll at The Associated Press, firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 225-8967
Deadline to register: Nov. 29, 5 p.m.
The morning sessions will focus on issues the legislature is expected to face as a result of the Virginia Tech shootings. The afternoon features a discussion of immigration issues, followed by a journalist’s tour of the capitol. Here is the full agenda:
Mental Health (9:30-10:45 a.m.)
Moderator: Tom Kapsidelis, Weekend Editor, Richmond Times-Dispatch; Panelists:
- Mira Signer, spokeswoman, National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Sen. Janet Howell, D-Reston
- Richard Bonnie, UVA Professor of Law and Psychiatry
- MaryAnn Bergeron, Virginia Association of Community Service Boards
*15 minute break
Guns and Safety (11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
Moderator: Christina Nuckols, The Virginian-Pilot; Panelists:
- W. Gerald Massengill, retired Virginia State Police superintendent
- Del. C. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah
- Del. James M. Scott, D-Fairfax County
- Daniel Carter, Senior Vice President of Security on Campus, Jeanne Cleary Foundation
Lunch: Speaker, Gov. Timothy M. Kaine
(12:30 – 1:30 p.m.)
Immigration (1:45 – 3:00 p.m.)
Moderator: Bobby Ford – Winchester Star; Panelists:
- Qian Cai, demographer, Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service at UVa.
- Del. David B. Albo, R-Fairfax
- Corey A. Stewart, Prince William County board chairman at-large
- Clair Guthrie Gastanaga, immigration advocate
- Pastor Habacuc Diaz Lopez
Journalist’s tour of the Capitol
Led by Bob Lewis of AP and Jeff Schapiro of Richmond Times-Dispatch (3:15-4:15 p.m.)