January 2, 2014 Agenda
1) Jeff South – Approval of the October meeting minutes
2) Mary Ellin Arch – Treasurer’s Report
3) Appointment of a temporary secretary to serve during Jeff South’s Fullbright Scholarship, which begins January 15. Rachel DePompa has volunteered.
4) Report from Paul Fletcher on rescheduling the George Mason Birthday celebration at Gunston Hall to a date TBD. Paul plans to speak; board members are asked to attend if possible.
5) Report from Pat Kane – The Region 2 Spring Conference at Georgetown University is slated for March 28-29. Pat is co-chair with Amy Kovak-Ashley from Georgetown, so please let me know any ideas or suggestions.
7) Sunshine Week event – I have asked Emily Grannis, freedom of information fellow at the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, to come to Richmond and present about the recently-launched iFOIA letter generator. We are tentative for Sunshine Week, March 16-22.
7) Recap of recent events – SPJVA recently financially supported two great events with close ties to our mission. AP Day at the Capital took place Wednesday, Dec. 4, offering a chance for dozens of journalists to get an early look at the big issues in the 2014 General Assembly. Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe also spoke. Robyn and Pat attended.
On Friday, Dec. 6, the Virginia Coalition for Open Government annual conference was held, with great discussion of the gift scandal, ethics reform and other issues. Paul, who is a board member, and Pat attended.
8) Other upcoming events