The Northern District of Virginia Professional Communicators, formerly Virginia Press Women, will host a seminar on mobile journalism taught by The Free Lance-Star’s Multimedia Coordinator Alex Russell at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 24, in The Free Lance-Star’s community room.
It will be free and open to SPJ members, in addition to VPC members and The Free Lance-Star newsroom.
The session will cover:
- Basic tools for multimedia journalism, such as phones and tablets.
- Add-on equipment (such as lights and microphones) that will improve the quality of your videos
- Helpful mobile apps that will make your job easier
- Basic photo/video technique Dos and Don’ts (composition, “rule of thirds,” bad audio, etc.)
- “The deadline is always now:” The importance of sending content in quickly; the role of social media in multimedia reporting.
This will be an interactive session. Participants are asked to bring their smartphones, tablets, and/or cameras. Most importantly, bring your ideas to share with the group. If you have an app that you use and love, let us know.
A table will be reserved at Primavera Pizzeria, which is across William Street from the paper, for those who would like to eat dinner there after the seminar. It will be Dutch treat.
Please let Cathy Jett know if you plan to attend, and if you will plan to have dinner afterward at Primavera.