Time to get excited! Here’s the preliminary agenda for the 2016 Society of Professional Journalists Regional Conference, set for April 8-9 at the Short Pump Hilton in Richmond. This year’s Region 2 conference will be held jointly with the Virginia Press Association, meaning members of each group who register get access to the others’ activities and events.
This is a preliminary agenda, so check back here and on our Twitter and Facebook accounts for updated information, including how to register.
Friday, April 8
* 10 a.m. – Registration for VPA and SPJ
* 10 a.m. – VPA Contest display room opens.
* 1-4 p.m. – Bonus Session: VCU Photo Shooting & Editing Held at VCU Campus ($30 fee, separate registration required)
* 2-5 p.m. – VPA/VPS Board Meeting
* 2-4:30 p.m. – Job Fair/Clip-Resume Critiques
* 5:30 p.m. – VPA Reception
* 6:30 p.m. – VPA Virginian of the Year/AP Banquet
* 7-11 p.m. – Possible SPJ Reception/Film Screening
Saturday, April 9
* 9 a.m. – Registration for VPA and SPJ
* 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. SPJ Silent Auction & Resume Critiques
* 9 a.m. – VPA Contest Display
* 9:30-11 a.m. – FOIA Session
* 11 a.m.-noon -Reporter Safety: Tips for Doing Your Job Without Compromising Your Safety
* 11 a.m. -noon – So You Want to be An International Reporter: Hear From Those Who Have Done it and How You Can Do the Same
* 12-1:45 p.m. – VPA/AP Annual Meeting/Business Meeting and Awards Luncheon
* 12-1:45 p.m. – SPJ Annual Mark of Excellence Awards/Keynote Luncheon
* 2-3 p.m. – Small Unmanned Aerial Systems
* 2-3 p.m. – The State of the News Media: Discussion of a Pew Report about the Climate of Today’s News Outlets
* 2-3 p.m. – Sharpen Your Social Media Skills: How to Use It to Expand Your Reach and Attract More Readers
* 2-3 p.m. – New Products and Existing Products: “Steal Our Ideas”
* 3-4 p.m. -Stop Errors in Their Tracks: Copy Editing for Everyone
* 3-4 p.m. – Ethics Advice: How to Act When You Find Yourself in Questionable Situations
* 5-6 p.m. – SPJ Reception & Wrap Up
* 5-6 p.m. – VPA Reception & Cash Bar – Foyer
* 6 p.m. – VPA Ad/News/Editorial Awards Banquet
* 8:45 p.m. – 1 a.m. – Possible member-generated After Banquet Party
Questions? Comments? Email SPJ Virginia Pro Chapter Robyn Sidersky. You can also follow SPJ Region 2 on Twitter and Facebook.
You must be logged in to post a comment.