Society of Professional Journalists, Virginia Pro Chapter and
Virginia SPJ, SDX Educational Foundation
2020 Journalism Fellowships
The Virginia SPJ,SDX Educational Foundation offers two $1,500 cash fellowships in support of summer 2020 newsroom internships to current sophomores, juniors and seniors attending accredited Virginia colleges and universities. The internships must be at least six weeks’ full-time work focused on writing for publication or broadcast at a bona fide news organization approved by the foundation. Each $1,500 stipend can be used for any purposes related to the summer internship, such as living expenses, travel, supplies, career clothing and others.
Recognizing the importance of liberal arts education in preparation for a journalism career, applicants need not be journalism majors. They must, however, demonstrate clear intent to pursue a career in the profession (print, broadcast and/or online news media) as shown by their applications.
The 2020 fellowship winners will be recognized at SPJ Virginia Pro Chapter’s annual George Mason Award Ceremony and Reception, traditionally held each year to honor a person who has made a significant and lasting contribution to Virginia journalism.
Students need not have an internship pre-arranged in order to apply. The responsibility of securing a summer internship rests entirely with the student. The foundation, upon request, may utilize its contacts throughout SPJ to help fellowship recipients find summer internship opportunities, but it cannot guarantee the availability of its assistance.
Payment of fellowship stipends is made upon formal confirmation of internship offers by host news organizations and their approval by the foundation board of trustees. Each stipend is paid regardless of any salary offered by the host news organization. The foundation will request evaluations of each fellow’s summer internship.
Applications are now being accepted. The application form and instructions are available online at spjva.com. The form and all supporting materials must be submitted online by April 1, 2020. Results will be announced April 15, 2020.
For more information, email Caroline Cardwell, fellowships chair of the Virginia SPJ,SDX Educational Foundation (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Here is the FellowshipApplication2020 — a fillable PDF that can be saved and emailed to email@example.com. In addition to the application form, applicants must submit:
- A list of professional (not college- or university-sponsored) publication/broadcast of your work and print/broadcasting/online experience (paid or unpaid, including internships), if any.
- Activities and memberships (college and other).
- A personal biography (no more than two pages, double-spaced).
- Explanation of why you believe you are suited for a journalism career, describing your short- and long-term career goals (no more than one page, double-spaced).
- Your estimated summer living costs.
- Three (maximum) samples of your original journalism work that have been published/broadcast anywhere, including college media. Please scan tear sheets and photocopies and submit as attached files. Broadcast samples should be submitted as attached files or links to an online source. Indicate date/place of each publication/broadcast.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors and/or journalism professionals submitted directly to Caroline Cardwell, fellowships chair, Virginia SPJ,SDX Educational Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A resume.
You must be logged in to post a comment.